In response to the rapidly evolving events surrounding novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), MSRI has been monitoring the situation to ensure we are taking the necessary steps to protect the health and well being of our members, workshop attendees, staff, and the local Berkeley community. The following information is provided to assist our visitors.
These hygiene steps will help slow the spread of germs and viruses:
- Wash your hands often, using soap and water for at least 20 seconds. It’s easy to do and it’s something that you can control. Here’s a video on proper hand-washing technique.
- Avoid touching your face, especially with unwashed hands.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue, throw the tissue away, and immediately wash your hands. If you do not have a tissue, cough into your elbow instead of your hand.
- Clean frequently-touched surfaces often, including door handles, phones, desks and keyboards, using household cleaner or sanitizing wipes.
- Shaking hands is a rapid way to spread germs! Replace handshakes with another greeting (like an elbow-bump or a nod of acknowledgement).
- Avoid contact with those who are ill.
- Stay home if you are sick.
WHAT IF I FEEL SICK?
If you feel sick with fever, cough, or difficulty breathing, you should seek medical attention. Contact an urgent care center (see links below) or your own physician for an appointment. Call first so that they can set up a safe space for when you arrive. If the doctor believes you need to be tested for COVID-19, they will arrange for the test.
Finally, please follow the CDC guidance to prevent the spread of COVID-19 if you are sick.
Berkeley Walk-in Clinics and Urgent Care Centers
The following urgent care health clinics are privately run. Most will accept cash or credit card payments, some are set up to directly bill certain health insurance providers.
If your primary health insurance is through your university, an international travel plan, or a country-based/national health plan, you are advised to contact the plan administrator so that you will follow their procedure for obtaining care while traveling.
If you pay for services with cash or credit card, keep your receipts and any other documentation that you receive, so that you may submit these for reimbursement from your primary health insurance plan.
Carbon Health (Accepts Health Net)
2920 Telegraph Ave
LifeLong Medical Care
2001 Dwight Way, Berkeley, CA
(Located on the First Floor of Herrick Campus, Alta Bates Summit Medical Center)
Concentra Urgent Care
2850 Seventh Street Suite 100
Berkeley, CA 94710-2703
John Muir Urgent Care (Accepts Health Net)
3100 San Pablo Ave Suite 300, Berkeley, CA 94702
Hours: 8am - 8pm
Phone: (510) 985-5000
Instant Urgent Care (Accepts Health Net)
3095 Telegraph Ave, Berkeley, CA 94705
Hours: 10am - 7pm
Phone: (510) 495-0772
Sutter Urgent Care (Accepts Health Net)
2500 Milvia St
Berkeley, CA 94704
Hours: 8am- 8pm
One Medical (You must pay a membership fee of $199 per year to access this clinic; Accepts Health Net insurance)
1801 Shattuck Ave., Suite A, Berkeley 94709
Hours: Mon - Fri: 8am - 6pm
Local Hospitals and Emergency Rooms
WHEN TO CALL 9-1-1 OR VISIT THE EMERGENCY ROOM: If you experience any life-threatening medical emergency, you should call 9-1-1 immediately.
ALTA BATES SUMMIT MEDICAL CENTER
Alta Bates Campus
2450 Ashby Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94705
2001 Dwight Way
Berkeley, CA 94704
HIGHLAND GENERAL HOSPITAL (Public Hospital in Oakland)
Main Hospital (Operator): (510) 437-4800
Emergency Department: (510) 437-4559
1411 East 31st St
Oakland, CA 94602